Maiden Newton & District Community Museum Trust
more old pictures click here
Does Anyone remember the Chard
family, Arthur Jack Chard, spent his early years in Sandhills,
His grandfather, John Chard, ran the Three Horse Shoes Pub in Sandhills for some years between c.1896 and 1917
. Arthur's parents, Arthur and Annie, and his siblings, Florence Annie, Emma, and Sidney,
lived with John for a good part of this period, and I believe some members of the family lived on in Cattistock until at least 1939
(when my great grandfather died). If there is anyone in Cattistock who remembers the family, I would love to hear from them.
Many thanks Gill Cannell
If you can help use the contact page to email
A short History from The Frome valley parish plan
The village of Cattistock, nesting under the hills, appeared as ‘Ertacomestock’ in the Domesday Book, and it is certain that Castle Hill was visited by the Romans, being one of the ten Roman camps in Dorset. Before the Norman Conquest, the whole parish was the property of the church and about 900 years ago it became known as Cattistock.
The register of the Church at Cattistock dates from 1558, the Church being dedicated to the Saints Peter and Paul. The old church has entirely gone and the new church was restored and rebuilt by the Rev. Still in 1857.
The local inn, named “The Fox and Hounds” has been a part of Cattistock village for at least three centuries. As a result of these skills and facilities the parish was largely self-sufficient. From the 1700 hundred, there were more gentry and consequently opportunities for domestic employment as house staff, gardeners, grooms and such like. Very few went to work outside the parish and hardly any mothers went to work. The severe agricultural depression which started in 1879 had a drastic effect on the opportunities for agricultural employment. It wasn’t all work and no play. Cattistock has been a sporting village for hundreds of years, hence the Cattistock Hunt and it naturally follows that in olden days when the hunting season finished, the servants and grooms and other necessary attendants turned to other sports. The Cattistock feasts, held early in the nineteenth century, were very important events. People from miles around gathered in the village to meet their old friends and there was dancing on the village green.
Cattistock School’s records go back to 1863, it was known as a Church school and religion played a large part in its curriculum. In 1980 the school closed its doors and the children were taken by bus to the newly build school in Maiden Newton.
In 1918 A.P. Pearce & Co setup a freight haulage and transport service for local farmers and traders. Later expanding to transporting groups of people in the Frome Valley to events and collecting children from school. Operating some 28 buses in 1930, it later became known as Comfy-Lux Travel and closed in 1989. The original bus station has long gone and houses built on the site, but bus routes continue through the parish allowing travel to Dorchester, Yeovil and Bridport.
Savill Hall in Cattistock was built in 1926 on the site of old farm buildings and it was dedicated to the memory of Mr. Savill of Chantmarle who died of wounds after the First World War and built in the same Tudor design as Chantmarle Manor. The hall is in almost continual use during the year. Electricity arrived in the valley in the 1930s.
During World War Two many evacuees, mainly from London, arrived and had to be integrated into the village homes and school. After Dunkirk in 1940 the whole of the Frome Valley was taken over by the exhausted troops who had been taken off the beaches. They were billeted in the cottages and any spare rooms that could be commandeered. Villages supplied food during a time of strict food rationing until their army rations arrived. In the run up to ‘D-Day’ in 1944, King George VI came to review the troops before they embarked on what, sadly for many, would be their last journey. Italian and German prisoners of war worked on farms in the Frome Valley.
21-1-1983 ZA177/711 Sea Harrier 899Sq Pilot lost control, cr at Cattistock.
Pilot Lt. K. Fox ejected suffering spinal injuries
Build no.: 912028
First flight 5-december-1981
First delivery as ZA177/'77' on 6-january-1982 to the Royal navy, No.809 Sqn
Delivered as ZA177/'711' on 22-july-1982 to the Royal Navy, No.899 Sqn
Crashed at Cattistock near Dorchester narrowly missing a housing estate after failing to recover from a spin.
What is held at
The National Archives, Kew
BUNDLE No 39: Gift of Henry de Tuderlegh to Walter de Burgh of land and property in Cattistock, Dors, 1299.
Gervase de Newebury, Richard Fyreter and John le Brut to grant land in Cattistock, Byestedon [in Cattistock],
and Upper Sydling to the abbot and convent of Milton, retaining land in Milton Abbas and Upper Sydling. Dorset.
BUNDLE No 39: 22 title deeds (including a mortgage by demise of Thomas Put of Rampisham, Dors, to Morgan Gogh, John Roland, clerk, and John Bryt, with a remainder to Richard Hurding, in French) relating to land in Cattistock, Dors, 1336-1630; with particular reference to land called Northcroft held by members of the Tyderlegh (or Tytherlie) family, which, by 1630, is called Tiderlies (or Titherlies).
BUNDLE No 39: Final concord between James Frampton and George Churchey, querents, and James Churchey and his wife, Ann, deforciants, relating to land and property in Iwerne Minster, Whatcombe, Whitchurch and Cattistock, Dors, 1652.
mid 13th- century-1729
BUNDLE No 49: Grant of Sir Guy de Breve to Thomas Put of the reversion of lands and tenements in Cattistock, Dors, leased to Walter Ravell, his wife, Joan, and their son, John, 1379; and letters patent of Sir Guy de Breve to Walter Ravell, his wife, Joan, and their son, John, advising them of the above grant, 1378.
mid 13th- century-1729
BUNDLE No 49: Quitclaim of James Frampton of Buckland Ripers, Dors, to James Churchey of Wincanton, Som, relating to land called Tyderlye's at Cattistock, Dors, 1629.
?CHEEK v LENNARD: Copies of wills of Robert Cheek of Cattistock (1677) and Robert Cheek of Woodhall (1750). Title deeds relating to Cattistock, Woodhall. Rentals of manors of Rockelleye (Cocksalls), Woodhall and Minchine (in Arkesden): Dors, Essex
Covering dates 11, 12, Eliz
County: [Dorset]; Cattistock (Catstock); Book of Courts
Covering dates 9, 11, 12 Hen VIII
Description of Courts: Manorial Courts.
Places: Ottery St. Mary. Buckland, with Brockhampton; Buckland; Plush (Phusshe); Mintern [Dorset]. Marnhull; Stockwood (Stokewood) and Newland; Bradpole (Bradepoole); Knowle (Knoll); Wool (Wull); Winterbourne St. Martin (Martyns Towne, alias Wynterbone Martynne); Cattistock (Catstock); Sutton Poyntz (Pointes) [Dorset].
1 membrane or sheet.
GEORGE RUSSELL Born CATTISTOCK, Dorset
Served in Royal Artillery Discharged aged [Not Known]
Covering dates 1931 Jan
Records of the pre-nationalisation railway companies,
Cattistock: provision of halt
1677 6 Feb.
Batstone, Joan, of [?Cattistock, Dorset], widow